Tuesday, April 1, 2008

How You Can Help

As I've stated numerous times on the blog, Kirsten and I have been humbled by all of the offers for support that we've received and this isn't just a throw away statement. We've seriously been overwhelmed by the support and many times question how we're so lucky to have such a great network of family and friends. With that in mind, I'm looking to call in a few favors right now. I'm sitting in the NICU (yes, breaking the rules) as I type this posting and its finally dawning on me how you can best help. Here's a list of quick thoughts (please feel free to add additional ideas in the comments section):

1) Give blood. If you live in DC, the Children's hospital has a blood donor link on their website. If not or there is a more convenient site closer to your home/office, schedule an appointment right now and post a comment when you do it. There is always a need for blood in the medical community- Madeleine has used her fair share so consider this your way of paying it back.

2) Donate to the March of Dimes. They are doing great work here supporting families that truly need support. Your donation can help make a difference.

3) Take care of your own health. Kirsten and I love each and every one of you and selfishly, we don't want to be concerned with your health. If you've been putting something off (diet, work out), here's a way for you to help.

4) Support Barack Obama for President (sorry couldn't help myself).

I won't list any more ideas right now but I do ask that you take this post seriously (except for politics-- that one's entirely up to you). Kirsten and I take the concept of public service seriously and if Madeleine's health challenges can serve as a rallying point for small improvements, we would feel great.

Don't worry- we'll still be relying on you for meals and emotional support. However, there's only so many meals we can eat while there are so many other ways for folks to make a truly important contribution. Thanks,

Brent

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Precious-Love Mom

Anonymous said...

#3 started today and yes to #4 and that includes the whole grimmke group. I'm sure that doesn't surprise you. Sounds like all is going well. We love you.
Aunt Jen

Anonymous said...

You guys are remarkable!! Except for the political note. :)

Brent Bushey, Kirsten Wright and daughters said...

FYI- I just scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning and they said that they're always looking for folks to donate. If interested, you can call to schedule an appointment-- information is below. FYI-- if you don't drive, you can Metro to Brookland/CUA and take a shuttle to the hospital (it picks up right outside the Metro station).

- Blood Donor Center 202-476-KIDS (5437)
- Location: Room 2302 on the second floor of the main hospital Blood Donor Center
- Hours of operation Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 7 am – 4 pm Wednesday 7 am – 2:30 pm Friday 7 am – 3:30 pm

Unknown said...

You two continue to amaze me with your strength. May Madeleine have a wonderfully boring week. I am thinking that I may have to get over my fear of donating blood for this little scrapper- as Becky says. ;) I loved the political reference today. Thanks for being you!