Wednesday, April 2, 2008

4/2 Update from Hospital

I'm sitting with Madeleine against me chest- this beats a cup of coffee in the morning bya country mile- and have a short update to provide. Madeleine had a little difficulty with her breathing last night- nothing too out of the ordinary but they took her blood gas this morning and they had some concerns. Again, nothing major but her blood was slighly acidic. The doctors believe that this resulted from ordinary breathing issues and possibly because they have limited the amount of fluid they are giving her. The fluid limitation is designed to help with her heart condition's tendency to over burden the lungs. In short- this isn't a major incident but until her blood gasses clear up, they'll hold off feeds. I'm waiting for rounds and will get a better idea of when the gas could clear up (potentially today). Additionally, they took an X-Ray of Madeleine and that should tell us if any intestinal issues remain. Since I haven't heard anything yet, my assumption is that this isn't an issue. So far, its a little bumpy day but the bumps don't seem major. Days like today just reinforce how important patience will be throughout Madeleine's stay in the NICU..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Brent and Kirsten! My prayers continue to go out for you and your little girl. Dee

Anonymous said...

HI Brent and Kirsten- A mutual friend, Gail Foster, forwarded your blog to me. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your beautiful little girl. I myself am the mother of a preemie, who is now a very rambunctious and healthy 13 month old boy. Luke was born 8 weeks early, weighing in at 3lbs. 3oz. We came thru many obstacles, including NEC, and were so thankful of the NICU(Geisinger in Danville, PA) staff for their guidance and education, when we felt useless to our little boy. Keep up the good work and the faith...P.S. kangaroo time really is the best medicine! GOod Luck and Best Wishes for Madeleine!