Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Quick morning update

We're getting ready to go to the hospital but wanted to provide a quick update from last night. We learned last night that the PDA (heart duct) is closed. This is great news as we believe that this removes heart surgery from the table at this time. Madeleine will obviously need to have surgery down the road for her AV canal but it is preferable to do this surgery once she has grown. We haven't confirmed this information with the cardiologists but will meet with them this morning to make sure this is correct. While this is good news, it comes with a word of caution: we were warned last week that it is possible for this duct to open and close repeatedly. If it opens again, it is likely that the cardiologists would consider surgery to minimize the risk of the PDA diverting blood away from the gut area. Regardless of the caution we definitely felt great last night and this is a step forward. We hope to report good and/or boring information later today.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The three of you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. Hope the rest of your day is uneventful. We love seeing the pictures of Madeleine, so keep them coming. She is such a beautiful little girl and we can't wait to give her hugs and kisses.

Chuck, Mary & Phil

Valerie Dix said...

What great news!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news and both dad and I enjoyed a great night of sleep knowing all three of you are in good hands. I asked Grandma and Grandpa Don to post a package from me yesterday. Hope you get it by the weekend-love mom

Anonymous said...

Hope all continues to be "boring" as you term it . Your family is in our prayers.... we check every day and pray every night for a speedy recovery for Madeleine. Mom has put her on the church prayer list.

Keith

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys
Lets hope for some continuously quiet days. I am so relieved that you have transferred to Childrens. As a NICU nurse I can tell that you are all getting excellent care and solid answers to your qustions and concerns. If you find something confusing,want to know the questions to ask or just need to talk about your NICU experience, I'm only a phone call away. Many prayers winging their way to you...

Love, Your cousin Betsy

Anonymous said...

Dear Brent and Kirsten - I'm sorry for taking up your time with an email. I've been keeping up through your blog - thank you so...much. I've been praying for strength, courage and wisdom for you guys and health and happiness for Madeleine.

While reading your blog this morning a song popped in my head - Amazing Love, How can it Be? Isn't it amazing how much you love that child? It still amazes me when someone becomes a parent - I always go and say to them - isn't it amazing how much you love that child? I love watching the dad because, being a woman, I find it even more incredible the love the father has for his child.

With Easter just around the corner it made me remember that my Father in Heaven loves me more than I could ever think of loving my children. This love thing has me so amazed. Even in your darkest moments and your highest moments God is there for you to lean on. He loves you guys so...much. In our experience we have really called on our Heavenly Father to work in and through us to get us through. I really don't know how we would have made it had He not been there for us.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get to preaching. Sometimes things just come together and you want to share them. We love you guys, even though we only spent a few hours with you. We are praying for you and your beautiful wonderful child. We will be in DC in September and want to look you up in your new place and see your miracle.

Have a Happy Boring Easter and keep on blogging!!!

Bernice


--
Bernie
www.TheHouseHuntersTeam.com
865-386-3674 cell