Tuesday, March 25, 2008

3/25 Feeding Begins

That's the good word from Kirsten at the hospital-- I came into work this morning. Madeleine dind't have the best night-- she is receiving a small amount of oxygen in her nasal canula as she's struggling a bit with her lungs. Despite me being worried, Kirsten said that the doctors and nurses don't see this as a problem and I guess they know more than me (though I'm loathe to admit it.) They all explained that premie babies go up and down and that Madeleine's current struggles are to be expected. Despite knowing this and being told to expect up and down days, I still don't like it.

While the feeding beginning is great news, it does come with a few cautions:

1) Feeding will go extremely slowly-- they're giving her 1 cc (1/4 of 1 teaspoon) to start and don't plan on adding more than 1 cc/day.
2) There is a chance-- albeit a small one-- that NEC can re-occur. There's no way to tell why and no evidence that can suggest any type of likelihood. That being said, its always out there. (Have I mentioned that I don't like NEC?)

In short: Madeleine continues to move forward and that's the best news we can report. We'd like to eliminate some of the worries but every parent I know just keeps smiling when I talk and saying things like "when you stop worrying about one thing, another pops up."

If you're praying today, pray that Madeleiene calms down enough so that I can hold her tonight... That's the best medicine for me.

Brent

PS-- There is an echocardiagram scheduled for this afternoon and Madeleine will also be examined by an opthamologist today or tomorrow-- they didn't have a firm schedule. We'll post the reports as they come in-- the goal is that the exams don't find anything (or anything new.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brent and Kirsten-
I checked in with the doctor who works with our school and she suggested looking into the“Pull-thru Network” – referring to the reattachment of the small and large intestines. It is dedicated to children and families, so it may be worth checking out:
http://www.pullthrunetwork.org//index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

-Ellie R.

Unknown said...

I will say a prayer that Madeleine calms down so that you can hold her and that the feeding goes smoothly. I love the picture of you and your bald twin mixed in with all the Madeleine shots. :) Go Maddy Go!!

Love, Al

Brent Bushey, Kirsten Wright and daughters said...

Thanks Ellie-- this sounds like a great resource!

Anonymous said...

Brent-Please clarify for all that the "bald twin" is not your real bald twin. Post a pic of you and Joe after their visit this weekend.
We are praying for a totally boring afternoon at the hospital so Daddy can rock the time away tonight with his Maddie. Keep us connected-Love -mom

Brent Bushey, Kirsten Wright and daughters said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brent Bushey, Kirsten Wright and daughters said...

The "bald twin" referenced is actually a guy named Andy-- he is totally obsessed with me and even dresses identically to me. The picture taken of the two of us was meant to show how pathetic he really is... j/k-- Andy is a good friend of mine. Kirsten and I met up with our Andy and his wife Alison-- Kirsten's co-worker-- last week and found that Andy and I were both dressed identically... thus the picture.

As far as my actually twin brother Joe-- he is also balder than me... but I think Madeleine may help even the race out...

Anonymous said...

It may just be me, but I really do think Madeleine looks a lot like Brent!! Especially in the newest pictures.

~Theresa

Becky's Blog said...

I agree with Theresa. Miss Maddie looks like her daddy!

Becky