Friday, January 16, 2009

Different Kind of Drama

Sorry for the lack of posts-- can't believe it has been 8 days-- but I have a good excuse as I was hospitalized for five days. That's right-- I was in the hospital, not my daughter. (Side note, if our house burns down, our insurance company had better have a good alibi.)

Here's my quick story: I developed a heart arrhythmia issue over the summer and despite my doctor's best efforts, they weren't able to solve it. Instead, they put me on daily medication and all appeared to be under control... until last Friday morning when my pulse inexplicably topped 200 beats/minute. (FYI- a normal adult pulse is around 50-70 bpm.) I ignored the racing heart and associated pain for about two hours-- I had lots of work to do-- but I ended up at GW hospital in downtown DC. My heart proved more resistant than most as it failed to respond to the common techniques (vegel, massage of the carotid artery, flexing, etc.) for slowing it down and it also failed to respond to many different drugs including a wonderful drug, adenosine, that stops your heart for a second. (yeah, that doesn't feel so good) After repeated tries (I remember about 6 doses) with adenosine, the doctors decided to shock me with the difibrillator. I wasn't fully sedated the first two times they shocked me and I can tell you that getting shocked is not a lot of fun. Thankfully, my heart finally stopped on its own right as we reached the four hour mark of racing. I did experience a few more episodes in the next few hours but none as substantial as the first.

As you might expect, this heart trouble landed me in the hospital over the weekend. I went into a heart catheter lab on Monday and thankfully, the doctors were able to fix my heart issue-- they think. (certainty is fleeting when it comes to medical issues in the Bushey family.) I was released on Tuesday on no medications with no diet restrictions and while I'm still a bit tired, I haven't had any heart issues and hope that remains the case.

You're hear to read about Madeleine-- not my crazy health issues-- and all I can report is good news. Madeleine continues to grow, is healthy, and she's happy as can be. I have some pictures at home and plan on taking a bunch more this weekend-- I'll post ASAP. Rest assured, she's doing great and Kirsten and I couldn't be happier. We're hoping that this string of health continues for her and we look forward to week in the near future where none of us ventures into a medical facility.

That's all on our end. Kirsten and I scored tickets to the Treasury building for the inauguration so we're headed down there and expect to have a good time on Tuesday. We might not have a great view but we'll be warm inside with access to indoor plumbing. You can't ask for much more, can you? Have a great weekend!

Brent and Kirsten

4 comments:

Will said...

Woah. Dude! Glad you made it out of there with your ticker. We were starting to wonder what was going on... Next time we'll know to wonder even more! Glad you're OK, and Madeleine too. What better way to try out your new heart than with a celebration of historic proportion? Don't go too crazy, and say aloha to Barack for us.

eka said...

oh my goodness! I guess being used to hospitals is totally different when you're the patient. Glad everything's OK. (And why am I not surprised you tried to go to work? I probably would have gone back to bed, my way of ignoring things)

Congrats on getting tix and having a civilized place to be (the cold & lack of toilets are the exact reasons I'm staying home). I have a couple of friends in the parade - both will be freezing their buns off while I watch it on tv in my cozy home, with a hot cup of coffee. Enjoy it! It's such a great moment in history. Hugs to you both.

carojbacher said...

Put Kirsten in a preventative body cast please.

Caro

Unknown said...

you sure are quite about things! How many PMA/E-Gov emails did we exchange and not a peep about your heart issue! I'm glad you're feeling better! I'll also be at Treasury on Tuesday. Glad I can finally meet your awesome wife. See you on January 20th. We have LOTS to celebrate!