Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Banging My Head Against My Desk

I just got off the phone with the hospital and they're starting antibiotics under the suspicion that Madeleine has an infection. She has a low grade fever, has increased output in her colostomy bag, and the mucus secretions from the trach are thicker. Additionally, they did a scan of her blood (CBC) and it revealed an elevated white blood cell count. All in all, its pretty textbook signs that Madeleine has some type of infection.

There's nothing particularly alarming or terrible but they've sent off cultures and have started general antibiotics (Venc and mirapenum) to treat any possible bacterial infection. We don't know much else but its likely this will delay her return home-- they've gone up on her vent settings to keep her comfortable. In the grand scheme of things, is this a big deal? Likely not. Its just frustrating/agonizing/unfair and lots of other much more inappropriate words all tied together. (I don't have it in me right now to be positive/upbeat.)

I'll post more once we hear back-- its likely we won't know much for the first 24-48 hours...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brent and Kirsten, I am so sorry for Madeleine's setback. You have all had a very challenging year. My prayers are with all of you. Dee