Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Improved Bottle Feeding

Before I get to the good news, I'll just let you know that I left the camera at the hospital today so no pictures until this evening. I may be a Dad but I'm still forgetful Brent. Kirsten's already told me that I can't take Madeleine on the Metro as she's afraid I'll leave her...

As far as medical news is concerned, Madeleine continues to impress. All of the good stuff that was reported yesterday remains the same. Additionally, I met with an occupational therapist this morning and we made a breakthrough on the bottle feeding. It took us a while but we figured out a few things:

1) Madeleine doesn't have a problem with sucking-- if you've seen the video of her with a pacifier, that's not an issue. She just hasn't developed the coordination to suck and swallow together. By watching her, we learned that as she lays on her back, she sucks and then her eyes get real big. This is her way of saying "Dad, I'm drowning here" and we learned to sit her upright so that she could swallow before laying her back down. Over time, she'll get better at doing the two in tandem but for now, that keeps her from swallowing too much.

2) She also struggles to suck constantly as it is tiring. If you watch closely on the video with the pacifier, you'll see that she sucks about 3-5 times and then she takes a break. With a bottle, the sucking is a slower motion and is more tiring so it is reasonable that she wears out quickly. So, to help her out, I gripped the back of her jaw between my thumb and forefinger and slightly pulled her jaw forward. Again, she'll develop the muscles to do this on her own once she's had more practice. However, given the long time where she hasn't fed as well as the low muscle tone associated with Down's syndrome, she just hasn't developed these muscles yet.

With these two modifications, Madeleine was able to eat the full bottle today and she wasn't even tired at the end. The nurses were quite impressed with Madeleine's improvement and they suggested that I get fitted for a "super-dad" t-shirt soon. Madeleine also said that once she comes home, she'd prefer that I feed her during the daytime while reserving the nighttime feeds for mom. :)

In short-- things are going great. We definitely hope things are going this great for others reading the blog. Take care,

Brent and Kirsten

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Where do we get in line to sign that shirt???? Get one for mommy too!! You are both amazing; Madeleine is one lucky little baby to have you both as parents.
I am so happy to hear these good reports. She is a real trooper and cute too!
Dee

Anonymous said...

Hi Brent and Kirsten,
It is great to hear how things are progressing! I have gotten into such a routine of going to the computer as soon as I get home from work (can't access through work computer) and checking on Madeleine. I hope you know you have to keep up this blog up forever! Looking forward to new pics~Barb and Mark

Anonymous said...

Hi Brent and Kirsten,
I read your updates all the time. It is so exciting to hear all of Madeline's accomplishments. She seems to be a real fighter! She is so cute! We can't wait to meet her. We pray for her and both of you all the time.
Take care,
-Greg and Michelle Bushey

Anonymous said...

Brent

Wow...I am quite impressed and inspired. What a beautiful, amazing and blessed little family you all have. The love is quite evident and no doubt it is a major reason Madeleine is doing so well.

Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Regards...Dale Luddeke