Thursday, April 23, 2009

Successful Surgery

That's right-- surgery was successful today... on our dog Grady's leg. Gotcha! Yes-- our loving and extremely dumb cocker spaniel tore the cruciate ligament in his rear leg (in humans, we call this, the ACL) and he just completed successful surgery. A number of our friends offered cheaper alternatives but we decided that we wanted Grady around... hope we don't regret the decision.

Madeleine, on the other hand, continues to do great. Kirsten worked last last night so I was able to play with her by myself all evening. It was weird since it is very rare that we're home alone-- when Kirsten isn't around we usually have a nurse or other visitors. I loved it since I usually defer to others and I had a great time. The time also drove home the amazing love that a child has for its parents. I guess I've always focused on how my feelings toward her have been so life changing-- lots of other parents have asked rhetorically "did you ever think you could love something so much?" While this love was apparent, it really dawned on me last night how much Madeleine trusts and loves both Kirsten and I. I'm not bragging-- kids usually adore their parents (at least when they're young) but its taken a while to develop that mutual bond since Madeleine has had so many different care givers in her life. Obviously, Kirsten and I are the two constants but we're now just beginning to see her dependence on us-- she recognizes our voices immediately when we walk in the door and its apparent that she prefers us to hold her. (much like other kids) In any case, she continues to grow (we hope to have a new weight for you soon) and her muscle development continues to improve. She's starting to sit upright with very little support and is playing non-stop. Since posting the survey regarding how many times she will pull out the tube, we've had three close calls but so far, no trips to the hospital. (Yes-- I realize I just jinxed myself.)

That's all for now. I believe that new pictures have been posted but can't access Picasa right now-- long story. Hope to have new pics and maybe even a video in the coming days.

Brent

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I read this heading, I thought that I had been kept in the dark about a surprise surgery. The U.P. is far away but not out of the country. Only 11 days and counting. Can't wait-Love-K

eka said...

What size is she up to, now? I want to knit her a sweater or some cute baby thing. (I'm knitting one for another friend's baby and mentally making it longer)

--Emma