Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Very Happy Birthday

Madeleine came home last night and is having a great birthday- she slept all night and woke up at 6AM raring and ready to go. Kirsten and I are ecstatic and grateful beyond words. When we look back on the past year, we're floored by all that we've learned and grateful for all of the blessings we've received. Most of all, we're just glad to be parents to a wonderful little girl.

Our plans for tonight are pretty simple. We can't have a ton of folks around as we don't want to risk an infection. Therefore, we're staying home and good friends are coming over for take out Chinese. Yes- its strange but it fits as this was my meal last year after the emergency birth- friends and family purchased it for me and it was awaiting me when I finally left the hospital. This year is much better as I get to share it with the same friends and the two ladies in my life. For dessert, my sister-in-law has mailed a cake- she's a baking savant- and I'm sure we'll have Madeleine smash up a piece of it. She can't eat it but I think she deserves the right to get sticky.

We'll take a bunch of pictures and I promise to post them ASAP. In the meantime, thanks again for everyone's support. I've said it many times and it bears mentioning again- we are humbled by everyone's support and caring throughout Madeleine's struggles and we hope to celebrate today and future milestones with you. Have a great day!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Folks, My first EVER post!
I want to echo what Brent wrote- we cannot say thank you enough to everyone who has helped us get to today.
Put on your party hats and celebrate tonight - you can bet we will!
Kirsten

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Miss Madeleine!! We wish we could be there with you! Have fun with that cake:) Someday soon you'll be eating lots of it!
B & K- enjoy this day! You two have been so strong and overcome so much in this past year! We love you all! Have a fun day!
Kellie, Sean & Louisa

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear Madeleine,
Happy Birthday to you!!!!
You, Ms. Madeleine, are one remarkable little girl. I am so happy for you and your mommy and daddy today!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy the evening .... especially the cake!!!

Sarah Bushey said...

Happy Birthday, Baby Girl! You've come SUCH a long way, and we're all amazed beyond words by you and your mom and dad. You've taught us all so much, and touched so many lives in such a profound way already. All 3 of you deserve a HUGE celebration! Hope you enjoyed dinner and cake tonight. So glad that Steve and Becky were able to be there with you. Brent, see you this weekend! Kirsten - can you and Madeleine sneak on to his carry-ons? Please? Anyway...take care. We love you so very much...
Sarah, Joe and kiddos

Unknown said...

Celebrate, Celebrate! I'm sure when Madeleine is old enough to eat Chinese food, she will appreciate this being the meal of choice for her 1st birthday.

you all are amazing!

Lindsay said...

Hope you had a wonderful 1st birthday, little girl!! Love, Lindsay & Lily

Will said...

Happy Birthday Madeleine!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful family! And that smile...oh my..I'm sure she melts hearts all the time! Love to you, Molly